Monday, March 14, 2011

Listen to American Girl and Afghan Boy Speak for the First Time


"I cannot wait to have tea with you!"


Two years ago, 14-year-old American girl Elisa and 13-year-old Afghan boy Abdulai began an email friendship after Elisa saw a You Tube video in which Abdulai described his wish to find love and truth in his life. Elisa wrote “…On our news channels they never show any of Afghanistan’s children speaking. This is the first time I have heard voices of the Afghan people and seen the beauty of Afghanistan.”

The friendship grew as Abdulai sought peace in the midst of war, and Elisa sought to do well in school, frequently sharing the hope that one day they would be able to drink tea together.
Come the 20th of March, 2011, on the Global Day of Listening, Elisa will speak via Skype to Abdulai for the first time.

You can share in this wonderful moment by joining Global Day of Listening. Global Day of listening will be a series of Skype calls in which anyone can participate in conversations with those living in war-torn countries. Go to Global Day of Listening’s web site, www.globaldayoflistening.org, to make arrangements to join the calls.


Excerpts of some emails between Elisa and Abdulai

Dear Abdulai,
I really enjoyed your video and all the videos from Our Journey To Smile. I am 14 years old from the United States and on our news channels they never show any of Afghanistan’s children speaking. This is the first time I have heard voices of the Afghan people and seen the beauty of Afghanistan. Someday, I wish I can travel to Bamiyan to see the beautiful place in these videos. Please keep smiling and never give up your hope, because all youth are the future of the world.
Peace be with you.
Elisa
 -------------
Dear Elisa,
I was very happy to receive your letter. Thank you for enjoying the video.
I am about 13 years old. Afghan children, like myself, don’t know their dates of birth.
I hope that you will come to visit me in Bamiyan. I will serve you some black tea.
Take care and God bless you.
Abdulai
  -------------
Dear Abdulai,
I know you must be busy, thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I’m really glad to hear from you. Life in Afghanistan must be very different from life here in the United States. What do you like to do in your free time?  In my free time I like to draw pictures or spend time with my mother.
Young people in the U.S. and in Afghanistan may have different lives, but I believe we can all be friends.
Thank you for your hospitality and God bless you.
Elisa
  -------------
Dear Elisa,
I have an exam now.  I do not have a computer or internet. We only have 3 to 4 hours of electricity every night. Hakim helps me to send my emails.
I don’t do much in my free time.
Life is different but I think that humans everywhere are the same. I also believe that everyone can be friends.
Which grade are you in? I am in the 6th grade.
What do you want to be in the future?
I am very happy to have found a friend. Please keep in touch. Your friendship is important to me.
Say hello to your mother and all in your family!
Peace!
Abdulai
  -------------
Abdulai,
Never think that you can’t do something. Hold on to your dreams.
Elisa
  -------------
Elisa,
It is very cold in the mountains in winter.
Life in Afghanistan is difficult now. There is war and corruption. Bamiyan is still good and beautiful.
War is bad. I do not like war. I hope that the war will end.
Abdulai
  -------------
Abdulai
I also do not like war. War can ruin a lot of good things.
Even if differences or fights divide people, there are still people who just want friendship and peace.
Elisa
  -------------
Elisa
The situation in Afghanistan is bad now. It is not easy to find peace and friendship here.
Our government is corrupt. The people do not trust the government. The people do not trust foreigners too.
Abdulai
  -------------
Abdulai
I feel very sad about Afghanistan’s situation now.
Many people here do not want soldiers to be in Afghanistan.
I am praying for peace too. I pray that the people who want to make conflict in the world will change their minds and open their hearts.
Now, I’ll do my best to teach my family and friends about how important friendship and understanding is on Earth.
With all my heart, I hope people in Afghanistan will be able
to trust again.
Elisa
  -------------
Abdulai
Tea is my favorite, I saw some videos of you and other Peace volunteers drinking tea.  My friend, it is a terrible feeling when you are trying to speak and no one can hear.  We are children, our voices are so small.  Sometimes students in my class talk about war. They see it on Television.   They do not know the message of peace that you and your friends try to spread. Every time they speak about war- I try to spread your message of peace.
I will continue it, I know I am just one person, but I want to help you because you are my friend.
We are human, we must try our best. Don’t let go of your hope.
Take care  :)
Your Friend,
Elisa
 -------------


Meet Abdulai in this video.




No comments:

Post a Comment